'Oh, so that's who Richard Morris is..." Lord Hattersley on The Daily Politics

'An influential activist' - The Guardian

'Iain Dale, without the self loathing' - Matthew Fox in The New Statesman

'
You are a tinker...' - Tim Farron

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Apparently, we've started irritating some senior Tories. Bless.



I've just received the tweet illustrated above and here's the link to the full story at Total Politics.

Now, I don't mind admitting that when I first saw it, I felt a flash of irritation, at the accusation of playing 'bad politics' by the Tories. After all, I've been advocating this sort of approach to 'owning initiatives' for some time now (he says modestly). And its bloody patronising too.

And then I started to laugh at them.

After all, why should we be taking lessons in how to maintain a good coalition relationship from a party who supported campaigns like this?



No, sorry, Conservatives. As I said, only yesterday, you can't have it both ways. You can't run an AV campaign that attempts to target Nick Clegg, and then expect everything in the garden to be rosy straight afterwards.

Labour is already embarking on a period of eating itself. The Tories are about to start to do the same. I suspect Ed Miliband may well be Labour leader at the next election (they don't do regicide - it's actually quite an admirable trait of Labour). I suspect Tory backbench fury at their inability to deliver 'Pure Tory' policies from now on - barred very visibly by the Lib Dems - mean it's a lot less likely that David Cameron will do the same.

Keep up the good work Nick. And keep taking the credit. We're getting to them....

No comments:

Post a Comment