'Oh, so that's who Richard Morris is..." Lord Hattersley on The Daily Politics

'An influential activist' - The Guardian

'Iain Dale, without the self loathing' - Matthew Fox in The New Statesman

'
You are a tinker...' - Tim Farron

Monday 19 September 2011

Name your three favourite Lib Dem achievements in government. Now. No conferring

Wandering into conference yesterday I was accosted by a man in a bright blue blazer, who said he was from the Telegraph. On reflection I have no idea if this is true. But anyway...

He said 'can I ask you three questions' - it will take a minute' . 'Righto', said I. He whipped out his camera phone....

The three questions were:

1. What is your name?
2. Where are you from?
3. What are your three favourite achievements in government

I answered the first straight off. no ummimg. no erring, got it in one.

Question 2 was trickier. Where am I from? Does he mean home? Does he mean originally? Does he mean which local party? I plump for the latter.

Anyway, I should of course have been thinking about the third question.

Introduction of Pupil Premium first. Good.

Restoring earnings link to pensions. Excellent.

And then you think. Hang on. You've only got one left. What's it to be? I go for free nursery places for under 2's.

But then like that bit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, you want to shout, "no, wait, hang on'

Its taking 900 000 people out of income tax.

But which one would I drop?

Can i have 4?

Oh. He's gone

Tricky, this on the spot stuff, isn't it.

Anyway, what's your three?

2 comments:

  1. 1. Targeted help for the least well off by raising the Income Tax threshold.

    2. Pupil premium for disadvantaged kids who need most help form their schools.

    3. Showing a coalition can work and curbing Tory excesses and giving the Liberal Democrats experience in government, building a legacy track record of compassionate responsible leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the first two will prove v popular!!

    ReplyDelete