So, a week after the reshuffle, the reshuffle has one more surprise up its sleeve.
Of course, all Lib Dems will welcome the appointment of Jo Swinson to the equalities role. She will do a fine job. But it does beg a few questions...
1. What did Lynn Featherstone do wrong, that resulted in her having the equalities brief removed?
2. Why did this happen a week after the reshuffle? Why wasn't it sorted at the same time?
3. There are now no less than three equalities ministers - what will they all do?
4. If this was an afterthought...why did it take until the grass roots were in uproar before it was sorted? Is this another failure of the leadership to make the right call on a key area?
5. Why, several hours after the announcement, did the Equalities Department make no mention of Jo's appointment? (I write this on 11/9/12 at 23:12. There's no mention at this time).
6. Was the 'bigot' press release a cock up - or a deliberate conspiracy? Either way - it has fairly obliterated the media message of Jo's appointment.
But despite all that - I am pleased.
Good luck Jo