'Oh, so that's who Richard Morris is..." Lord Hattersley on The Daily Politics

'An influential activist' - The Guardian

'Iain Dale, without the self loathing' - Matthew Fox in The New Statesman

'
You are a tinker...' - Tim Farron

Sunday 21 August 2011

I reckon David Cameron's been reading my blog again...

After my blogpost earlier this week pondering the virtues of a community service scheme and wondering if it's totally illiberal to think it has some good points, I see the Prime Minister has suggested widening the scope of the current pilot schemes.

Now, while my natural inclination to think anything David Cameron has to say about the riots is pretty much wrong headed to begin with, once again I have to say I think there is something in this idea.

I think the fact that while every child after GCSE's would potentially get the chance to take part in the scheme, but that it is voluntary, not compulsory, is a good balance. And I find it hard to disagree with this sentiment either...

"I want the national citizen service to be available to every teenager after GCSEs. I want them to learn that they can make a difference in their communities and that real fulfilment comes not from trashing things or being selfish but by building things and working with others."

Now the success of the scheme will depend largely on who chooses to take part, and what they will have a chance to do.

But in principle - helping young people to volunteer to do good in the place where they live - we've got to be able to endorse that. Haven't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment